Monday, September 16, 2013

And to boldly go where no-one has gone before.

My brother doesn't like sci-fi so much as he likes spaceships, but he really likes spaceships. There aren't a great many patterns going on Ravelry, but the Enterprise is good and iconic, so it seemed appropriate for his upcoming birthday.






God damn, but I can't stand sewing components together. And embroidery. I'm going to steer clear of toys for a while.

Fiddly finishing aside, the pattern is quite straightforward and takes no time to make. I used Cygnet DK acrylic, mostly.


I've started watching Star Trek: The Original Series (I like how the fandom hivemind all knows what you mean when you say TOS, even thought it was never called that, because that would be silly). The most endlessly charming thing is that fact that the backgrounds, props and costumes are so visibly handmade. It sounds like I'm trying to be snarky, but it's incredibly endearing to be able to see the work that went into it. Differently enjoyable is the fact that stage-fighting hadn't been invented yet. And while it's a cliché, the vision and ambition of the show is so hopeful. There's a scene a few episodes into season one where they're looking down on a planet identical to Earth, and the continents are laid out incorrectly, because it was made before there were any pictures of Earth from space. Also fun fact!: Spock was meant to be half-Martian, but Roddenberry thought that if the show were successful, man might walk on Mars during its run. I can't think of anything else at the moment that's as full of quiet optimism and wonder, or maybe I'm watching the wrong shows.

No comments: