I finished exams! They could have gone better, but could have been a whole lot worse, so I shouldn't complain. I also broke my one-post-per-fortnight rule, but my laptop broke the day before my last exam and I only got it fixed yesterday, so I think I can be excused.
To reward myself for finishing exams, I made this hat:
|Check me out, taking photos outside where there's light instead of in my room where there's not.|
|I don't have a good photo face. I've decided to stop trying.|
The pattern is Tori by Erin Kate Archer. The pattern calls for bulky yarn, but I really liked the striping of it and couldn't find any nice variegated bulky yarn. I used Louisa Harding Grace - so lovely and so soft. It's worsted weight though, so it didn't come out as slouchy as the original, it's more of a beanie, which I wasn't going for. I am happy with it though (and I don't usually wear bright colours but I am trying NEW THINGS). The pattern is lovely and it knits up quickly (I made it while letting my brain melt watching horror films), and I might keep an eye out for suitable bulky yarn to make another more suited to the harsh winter months.
My follow-up indulgence was my Amy Gloves. I'm using 4-ply yarn (Debbie Bliss Rialto), instead of 3-ply as suggested by the pattern, both because there's a wider selection and I'd imagine it to be snugglier. I finished the left one the other night, but decided there was just a little too much wiggle room. I've ripped it out and am reknitting the whole thing on slightly smaller needles (2.75mm), so it should be a better fit. I'm glad to be redoing it, the lace pattern was just a little wide and sloppy for my tastes as it was. I find lace on large needles just looks gappy.
|Red toenails are Summery for me.|
I'm nearly finished my friend's hoodie. This photo was taken before I'd sewn up the sides. I didn't think through the pocket properly. I intended to pick up stitches, but realised that that left me with the yarn on the wrong side, so I pulled a length of yarn to the back to pick up at the front and then kept on knitting at the front. Then to attach the top I sewed the last row, pulled the live stitches through using a crochet hook and bound them off on the back. Not ideal, but I'm satisfied with my minor feat of engineering, and it's a lesson in planning ahead for next time. I also grossly underestimated how much yarn I'd need, and when I went in it was clealy a different dye-lot. Oops.
In PLAN news, I still want to make myself a hoodie, though I'm now thinking of making something light and summery, maybe in cotton. I also want to make a big snuggly cardigan because I can't find any I like in shops. I also want to make a skirt out of fabric I've had for ages now.
I'm starting an internship in the developmental biology lab on Monday. Exciting!